Sunday, February 1, 2015

19th Birthday.

Today, February 1, 2015 is my darling daughter's 19th Birthday.

I wrote her a letter and mailed it to her, but I'm afraid that it has not made it there in time, so here it is.


My Dearest Briony,

I know that I have said this before (perhaps in different words, perhaps in these exact words), but it warrants being said again, as a reminder.

The day that I became your mother was the greatest day of my life. I was so worried about becoming a step-mother, I read books and articles and researched so hard the months before I moved to Leicester. I wanted to do it right, and I wanted us to be a family. It took us some time, but that's exactly what we did become. The day that you first called me Mom, sitting in the car at the grocery store, asking “Mom, what's for dinner?” filled my heart with so much joy. I was so afraid that I had heard you wrong, so I pretended I didn't hear until you asked again.

You (and Cale) are the best blessings I've ever been given. Though there are things about the last eight years that I would change, becoming your mother is not one of them. Things have not always been easy, but that's life, everyone has hard times. The important things is that we came out the other side stronger than before.

I am so glad that I made the decision to move to Laramie. The year we had living together again was so much better than our weekly Sunday phone calls and Spring and Summer breaks in Virginia. We will always have our geocaching day trips, our cuddle time with Bearette, and our family dinners every Sunday with Cale. I wish that you were not so far away, but I have hope that we will see each other again for the important events in our lives. Because that's what family does, no matter the distance.

I love you more than words can express, and more than my heart can bear it sometimes. I am a better person with you in my life, a better person than I thought I could be. Being your Mother has been the most satisfying (and stressful and chaotic and terrifying) time of my life, but I wouldn't trade in this life for any other.

Love Always,
Mom.
XOXO.