Saturday, February 4, 2017

A Dog's Purpose: A Review.

I had been wanting to see A Dog's Purpose since I first saw the trailer before Christmas. I have not read the book, because I have a hard time reading sad animal books. The movies are easier because I can just sit and cry if I need to. Reading is hard when you're crying, which is why I have yet to get past page one of The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Anyway, I decided today that I would see A Dog's Purpose. The theatre had more people in it than I usually have in the movies I've gone to here in town, and I was surprised by the number of children, considering this was a movie with a dog that dies over and over.

There are no spoilers, this detailed description is in the first five minutes, so that doesn't count as spoilers.



So, the film starts with a puppy being born. Cute, right? Until it gets picked up by animal control and euthanized (you don't actually see that part). Then his spirit goes into a puppy at a puppy mill. The puppy is overlooked, but escapes and is picked up by two guys that decide to sell it. They take him, but leave him in their truck where he starts to die of heat stroke. This is where the main character finds him, and his heroic mother opens breaks the window and they take him home, NOT THE VET, and lay him on the ground until he comes around. At this point I'm not loving the movie, to be honest.

After this, the movie improves greatly. It alternates between heartwarming, heartbreaking, and laugh out loud funny. Each different version of the dog's life is touching, but sad at times, because not all of his lives are as happy as his life with his boy was. I cried each time he died, which was four times in total. The ending was not a surprise, because the trailer gave it away, but it was touching how it happened.

While it was a decent film, and poignant, it's not one that I will ever feel the need to watch again, most likely. I would probably recommend it animal lovers. I overheard several little girls say how much they liked it when it was over as they were leaving the theatre, which surprised me a little as it was a slow mosey of a drama, and not what I would imagine kids would enjoy.