Saturday, October 19, 2013

Good-Bye My Dear, Sweet Mervin.

Today several things happened. I went geocaching for the first time in nearly two months. I went to a Donkey Ball game (photos and write up to follow later), and I learned that a dear man, who I have known my whole life, passed away.

Mervin was a man that I never could remember how I was related to, but he was always there. It turns out he was married to my great great grandmother's brother's daughter (hopefully I got that right). Whenever I saw him, at a gathering or dining at the same restaurant, he always enveloped me in the biggest hug. He gave the best hugs ever. My friend Penny knew him as well, she is the one that gave me the news, and we both agreed we will miss those hugs. It is such a small thing, a hug, but sometimes it is just the thing you need, even when you don't know that you need it. Mervin's hugs made everything right in the world.

Though I am in Wyoming now, and likely would not have gotten another hug from him for a long long time, knowing now that I will not ever get one of those hugs again, fills my heart with sadness. He was a good man. A man I will never forget, because of his hugs and because he was a great person.

Good-Bye Mervin. You will be missed.

February 14, 2009
 
http://www.coffmanfuneralhome.net/sitemaker/sites/coffma0/obit.cgi?user=1132556Smallwood