Sunday, July 24, 2016

KURT!

On Friday, the 22nd of July, 2016 Briony and I saw Keith Urban in concert for the third time together (and my 17th time seeing him). We had a monumental KURT (Keith Urban Road Trip) in 2013 where we saw him back to back two nights in a row. This concert was particularly special because it was Briony's last night with me before heading back to Wales.

We stopped at Starbucks on our way out of town for drinks, and Georgia got a pupaccino.

We took Georgia to Four Paws in Fort Collins. They take such excellent care of her there, and several girls were heading out of the office for lunch and called hello to her as we were walking in. I am so glad that I found this place to keep her when I can't take her with me.


We got down to Greenwood Village Colorado in plenty of time to get checked into our (fantastic) hotel before heading to dinner. I hadn't planned in advance where we would eat, and Briony was suspicious of my suggestion of the nearby IHOP, but once she got her crepes she was a happy girl.
Parking was easy at the venue, I'll definitely remember the cheapo lot I found that was closer than the more expensive lots, and use it again for future concerts at Fiddler's Green. I got Nabru as a gift many years ago during a Keith Urban Christmas Gift Exchange present. It had to have been 2005 or 2006 I would think. He's been to every Keith concert I've gone to since then, and lives on my fridge the rest of the year. 
The line to get in the venue was crazy stupid long, but moved fairly quickly and the threatening storm brought in much appreciated clouds that meant we didn't have to stand in the sun the entire time. We did get bored, though, and took photos of our cute nail polished toes.
 
We got to our seats just as Marin Morris was finishing her last song. We sat down and Briony recognizes her as the one that sings this Cadillac song that we hate, but kept hearing on the radio during our road trips. So it worked out great that we didn't have to sit through her singing.

Bret Eldredge came on next, and I am familiar with most of his songs. He's especially funny on snapchat, and the only reason I keep that stupid app on my phone at all. He was pretty good.
The wait between set changes always seems to take forever while waiting for Keith to come on.


The wait is always worth it. Keith came on, and for an hour and a half he rocked it, like he always does. What's even more amazing when you're at a concert with your daughter, is when she reaches over and holds your hand, or links her arm in yours so that you're even more connected with each other during special songs.

For the part where he always comes up into the audience, this time he didn't come to a tiny stage on the left side like he usually does, they had a full stage set up right in front of where the lawn starts. Briony and I were late to go join the crowd leaving their seats, because I didn't think that security would allow us to stand in the walkway (Keith has actually had it out with security during concerts before that I've been to). We could have been so much closer had I not hesitated, but still we were about 20 feet away for the three or four songs he did up there.



It was the best night. Briony said she thinks it beats the last concert we saw together, one of which was at Red Rocks, and then in the pouring rain at Jas Aspen Snowmass. The second of those nights was better, despite the rain, because it was mostly accoustic.

I am so glad that I not only got to see Keith again with Briony, but the timing was perfect, as it was our last night together during this holiday. It helped because by the time we got back to the hotel we were too tired to be sad about her leaving, and talked about how wonderful and happy Keith seemed until we fell asleep.