Friday, January 25, 2013

The Pile

I started thinking about moving closer to the children the day they moved away. But I knew that it was not the right time, situation, etc. It was so hard being away from them, and only seeing them a couple of times a year. We talked once a week on average, and after talking to Briony for hours and hours, it was easier to be apart. But always hard to say good night or good bye at the airport. This summer a girl at work moved to Arizona because she thought it would be a good place to start over. That is when I first started thinking seriously about relocating. I looked into the Denver area, and that is when I discovered a gem of a city, Fort Collins Colorado. I liked all they had to offer, the proximity to the airport, the short (under two hour) drive to Laramie. Nid agreed to drive the kids half way to meet me once a month, but I could come up all the way and get them more often if we wanted.

I started planning a weeks holiday over Thanksgiving. I wanted to have job interviews lined up and find an apartment. I also would spend time with the children. My ideal plan would have been to find a job and an apartment and move before Christmas. I was aware that that was hoping for a lot, so I did plan ahead and bring all the Christmas presents with me to leave under their tree just in case. Because I might not have a lot of time after the trip, I had a couple of yard sales with my sister, and donated a lot of stuff to the Jesus store, our favorite charity shop in Waynesboro. I priced moving vans and towing plans, and what was in my budget was to add a tow hitch to my car, and pull a u-haul trailer. Only, my car doesn't have a very big engine, so the trailer would have to be quite small, so I had to get rid of nearly everything. I am taking a dresser and my bed frame and personal belongings. I taped off the size of the trailer on the living room floor, and it has been a work in progress since early November. I add things and take things out. There is also a weight limit to what I can pull, so I have to be aware of that as well as the dimensions. It ended up that I got offered a job as a Vet Tech, but could not find an apartment that I could afford with that job that would allow me to have a dog, and leaving Bearette was not an option. That is when I started looking into moving to Laramie, where I could see the children every week or more, and not have the travel time and extra expense of gas to get them, and also I would not have to worry about the weather closing roads between us. 

This is my pile as of today. Pretty much the only thing that isn't in the pile is the bed frame, and the last minute stuff that will be going in the car.